Getting past the basic setup

We're looking at using glusterfs for some of our storage needs. I have
read the "Quick start", was able to create a basic filesystem, and that
all worked. But wow, was it slow! I'm not sure if it was due to our very simple setup, or if that's just the way it is. So, we're trying to look deeper into options to improve performance, etc. In particular, I'm interested in the NUFA scheduler. But after hours of googling around for more information, I haven't gotten anywhere. There's a page with "translator tutorials", but all the links are dead. Jeff Darcy seems to be working at Red Hat these days, so maybe all his open-source stuff got removed. I haven't found anything about how to even start setting up a NUFA scheduled system. Any pointers of where to even start?

Any help would be extremely appreciated!

Thanks,

Jorge