Re: bonding question

Indeed. Only the rr (round robin) mode will get higher performance on a single stream. It also means that packets may be received out-of-order which can cause retransmissions (so it should never be used for UDP services like SIP/RTP). AFAIK it only works with Cisco etherchannel and does not scale well.

Multiple streams are balanced using the XOR of the two endpoint MAC addresses in mode 4. This can be changed to include L3 data (eg src/dest IP) but switch support is again limited for the alternate algo. I know my kit can't be changed to add L3 data. As long as you have multiple clients the default mode 4 will scale almost linearly and will be guaranteed to work across any switch that supports LACP.

Cheers

Alex