Re: False notifications

Thank you,

I tried to search on website but I could not find any release date for 3.5.1. Do you have any expectation or where I could find a bit more about that?

Thanks

On 5/23/2014 6:08 AM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sahina Bose" <sabose@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Milos Kozak" <milos.kozak@xxxxxxxxx>, "Pranith Kumar Karampuri" <pkarampu@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "gluster-users" <gluster-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2014 3:23:53 PM
Subject: Re:  False notifications

On 05/20/2014 07:12 PM, Milos Kozak wrote:

On 5/14/2014 1:43 AM, Sahina Bose wrote:

On 05/14/2014 07:42 AM, Miloš Kozák wrote:
Hi,
I am running a field trial of Gluster 3.5 on two servers. These two
server use one 10k HDD each with XFS as a brick. On top of these
bricks I have one replica 2 volume:

[root@nodef01i ~]# gluster volume info ph-fs-0

Volume Name: ph-fs-0
Type: Replicate
Volume ID: 5085e018-7c47-4d4f-8dcb-cd89ec240393
Number of Bricks: 1 x 2 = 2
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: 10.11.100.1:/gfs/s3-sata-10k/brick
Brick2: 10.11.100.2:/gfs/s3-sata-10k/brick
Options Reconfigured:
performance.io-thread-count: 12
network.ping-timeout: 2
performance.cache-max-file-size: 0
performance.flush-behind: on

Additionally I am running nagios to monitor everything where I use
http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Plugins/System-Metrics/File-System/GlusterFS-checks/details.
I improved it slightly such that I monitor number of split-brain
files and all this information go to the performance data, therefore
I can draw pictures out of it (these pictures are in attachement).

My problem is that I am receiving quite a lot of false warning from
nagios during a day because there are some unsync files (gluster
volume heal XXX info). I dont know if it is a bug or it is cause by
my configuration. Either way it is quite disturbing and I am afraid
that after receiving a lot false warning I could just omit an
important one..

I think the issue is because the "gluster volume heal info" also
reports files undergoing I/O in addition to files that need
self-heal. see
http://supercolony.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2014-May/040239.html
for more information on this. Pranith, please correct me if wrong.

It makes sense, but it is quiet inconvenient to check logs to be sure
what is actually I/O and what is healing.. So I support this
initiative! Do you have any idea when it is going to be implemented?

Pranith?

For 3.5.1 this is improved. Now "gluster volume heal <volname> info" can detect I/O vs self-heal for Writes/Truncates. There are still some corner cases for metadata (ownership/permissions etc), entry (create/unlink/rename/mkdir/rmdir/symlink/link) operations where it may show them in the output even though it is just I/O. But you should see significant improvement with this release.

Pranith

On another note, we are also developing Nagios plugins that can be
used to monitor the various entities and services in the gluster
cluster. The repositories are here -

gluster-nagios-addons -
http://review.gluster.org/#/admin/projects/gluster-nagios-addons
nagios-server-addons -
http://review.gluster.org/#/admin/projects/nagios-server-addons

These projects also look very interesting. I was googling, but I didnt
find the way how to install addon to glusterfs. Can you please give me
a hint? I would like to install it, test it and maybe I can write some
patches..

Have pushed a patch with instructions - http://review.gluster.org/#/c/7846/.

Please check this out and let us know. We look forward to your
contributions!

thanks
sahina