Re: Again on GlusterFS and active/active WAN Replication

On 02/17/2014 11:18 AM, Vijay Bellur wrote:

write-behind can help with write operations but the lookup preceding the
write is sent out to all bricks today and hence that affects overall
performance.

Ok, this is in-line with my tests and the auto-generated configuration files

Not as of today.

One possibility is to let local clients assume that the remote target is
not reachable and hence all operations happen locally. self-heal-daemon
can perform background syncs when they notice that there is a delta.
Achieving this form of near synchronous replication will involve some
amount of work. If the same file is updated from multiple sites, then
there are chances of running into split-brains and we would need good
conflict resolution mechanisms too.

I thought the same thing, but what scary me is that I expect split-brain to be quite common, even when using frequent volume heal cycles (eg: each 15 min). The problem is that users are likely to work with the same office files. From what I understand, a split-brain scenario led to unaccessible files until the split-brain condition is solvede (which implies manual operation at the hard-link level). Is that true?

The answer is no, however if you do not require all of your data in a
single namespace, you can configure geo-replication over two volumes in
different directions.

i.e vol1 (Site A) ==========> vol1 (Site B)

and

vol2 (Site B) =============> vol2 (Site A)

Unfortunately, I need the same namespace on both offices.

Cannot readily think of anything that does not involve code changes.

Thanks,
Vijay

Thank you very much for yours clear reply, they are much appreciated.
Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico