Again on GlusterFS and active/active WAN Replication

Hi All,
I have a few questions about GlusterFS used in active/active WAN-based replication scenarios.

Let first start with a little ASCII chart:

HQ Linux w/SMB share -> low speed link -> Remote Linux w/SMB share -> WIN7 clients

In short I had to replicate a local server share on a remote Linux box, and I would like to use GlusterFS (pre-seeding the remote side to lessen first-sync bandwidth requirements). However, I realize that writes to my local fileserver will be slowed down by the fact that GlusterFS use synchronous replication between the two bricks.

At first I thought to work-around this issue using tuning the write-behind behavior, but that seem to have no effect on replicated setup.

So my questions are:

1) it is not possible to increase local write speed while concurrently issuing a background sync against my remote target?

2) in current 3.4.x branch, it is possible to use geo-replication for active/active setup (I bet no, but...)

3) any advise of how to tune GlusterFS to suite this specific scenario?

Thank you and regards.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico