Re: Release 4.0: Release notes (please read and contribute)

On 02/10/2018 01:24 AM, Shyam Ranganathan wrote:
On 02/02/2018 10:26 AM, Ravishankar N wrote:
2) "Replace MD5 usage to enable FIPS support" - Ravi, Amar
+ Kotresh who has done most (all to be precise) of the patches listed in
https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/230 ; in case he would like
to add anything.

There is a pending work for this w.r.t rolling upgrade support.  I hope
to work on this next week, but I cannot commit anything looking at other
things in my queue :(.
I have this confusion reading the issue comments, so if one of the
servers is updated, and other server(s) in the replica are still old,
then self heal deamon would work, without the fix?

 From the comment [1], I understand that the new node self heal deamon
would crash.

If the above is true and the fix is to be at MD5 till <condition> then
that is a must fix before release, as there is no way to upgrade and
handle heals, and hence not get into split brains later as I understand.

Where am I going wrong? or, is this understanding correct?
This is right. In the new node, the shd (afr) requests the checksum from both bricks (assuming a 1x2 setup). In saving the checksum in its local structures in the cbk, (see __checksum_cbk, https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/release-4.0/xlators/cluster/afr/src/afr-self-heal-data.c#L45), it will do a memcpy of SHA256_DIGEST_LENGTH bytes even if the older brick sends only MD5_DIGEST_LENGTH bytes. It might or not crash but it is illegal memory access.

The summary of changes we had in mind are:
- Restore md5sum in the code.
- Have a volume set option for posix xlator tied to GD_OP_VERSION_4_0_0.  By default, without this option set, posix_rcheksum will still send MD5SUM. - Amar has introduced a flag in gfx_rchecksum_rsp. At the brick side, set that flag to 1 only if we are sending SHA256 - change rchecksum fop_cbk signature to include the flag (or maybe capture the flag in response xadata dict instead?). - In afr depending on whether the flag is set or not, memcpy the appropriate length. - After upgrade is complete and cluster op version becomes GD_OP_VERSION_4_0_0, user can set the volume option and from then on wards rchecksum will use SHA256.

Regards,
Ravi

To add more clarity, for fresh setup (clients + servers) in 4.0,
enabling FIPS works fine. But we need to handle case of old servers and
new clients and vice versa. If this can be considered a bug fix, then
here is my attempt at the release notes for this fix:

"Previously, if gluster was run on a FIPS enabled system, it used to
crash because gluster used MD5 checksum in various places like self-heal
and geo-rep. This has been fixed by replacing MD5 with SHA256 which is
FIPS compliant."

I'm happy to update the above text in doc/release-notes/4.0.0.md and
send it on gerrit for review.
I can take care of this, no worries. I need the information, so that I
do not misrepresent :) provided any which way is fine...

[1] https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/230#issuecomment-358293386