Re: reflink support for glusterfs and gluster-block using it for taking snapshots

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 5:16 PM, Niels de Vos <ndevos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 07, 2017 at 07:43:17AM +0530, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:
> hi,
>      I just created a github issue for reflink support
> <https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/349>(#349) in glusterfs. We
> are intending to use this feature to do block snapshots in gluster-block.
>
> Please let us know your comments on the github issue. I have added the
> changes we may need for xlators I know a little bit about. Please help in
> identifying gaps in implementing this FOP.

For gluster-block it may be easier to have snapshot support in
tcmu-runner instead? The qcow2 format would be ideal, and is in use by
different Virtual Machine approaches running on Gluster already. There
even is an upstream issue open for it:
  https://github.com/open-iscsi/tcmu-runner/issues/32

Contributing towards this might be quicker than implementing file
snapshot support in Gluster?

We tried that route by talking Fam Zheng, but the solution won't be delivered in the timelines we are looking for.
So we went with this approach.

Niels

--
Pranith