Re: pNFS server for FreeBSD using GlusterFS

CCing ganesha list

On 22/04/16 04:18, Rick Macklem wrote:
Jiffin Tony Thottan wrote:

On 21/04/16 04:43, Rick Macklem wrote:
Hi,

Just to let you know, I did find the email responses to my
queries some months ago helpful and I now have a pNFS server
for FreeBSD using the GlusterFS port at the alpha test stage.
So far I have not made any changes to GlusterFS except the little
poll() patch that was already discussed on this list last December.

Anyhow, if anyone is interested in taking a look at this,
I have a primitive document at:
    http://people.freebsd.org/~rmacklem/pnfs-setup.txt
that will hopefully give you a starting point.

Thanks to everyone that helped via email a few months ago, rick
Hi Rick,

Awesome some work man. You have cracked Flexfile layout for gluster volume.

I still wondering why you picked knfs instead of nfs-ganesha?
I don't believe that ganesha will be ported to FreeBSD any time soon. If it

I believe the support is already there. CCing ganesha list to confirm the same.

is ported, that would be an alternative for FreeBSD users to consider.
(I work on the kernel nfsd as a hobby, so I probably wouldn't do this myself.)

There will
lot of context switches
between kernel space and user space which may effect the metadata
performance.
Yes, I do see a lot of context switches.

rick

I still remembering the discussion[1] in which I mentioned to use
ganesha server as MDS.
And usually gluster volume won't export using knfs.

--
Jiffin