Re: [Cross-posted] Re: Gentle Reminder.. (Was: GlusterFS Documentation Improvements - An Update)

My suggestions:
  • Differentiate between user doc(installation, administration, feature summary, tools, FAQ/troubleshooting etc) and developer doc(Design doc, developer workflow, coding guidelines etc).

I think there's a third category: feature/release planning and tracking.  That stuff doesn't belong in the online equivalent of a manual, though it should be linked from there.  It also doesn't belong in the same git repository with code, because it's explicitly not associated with a particular version of code.  However, putting it in a *separate* git repository might work.  Having history would be nice.  Gerrit and github both provides reasonable inline-commenting facilities to support the kinds of discussions that need to occur, plus a way to finalize the results of those discussions with a commit.  My main concern is that such a setup might seem inaccessible to users who aren't familiar with those developer-oriented workflows.  For them, probably nothing more cumbersome than a wiki would be sufficient.  On the other hand, I have yet to see such a user edit one of our feature/planning pages even when those were in a wiki.  I can barely get my fellow developers to do so, even when the features are their own, so maybe usability just isn't the issue.
  • User documentation goes to glusterdocs repo and developer documentation stays in gluster repo.
  • An user/admin who installed through packages can do a man(and find man pages) or google(and find readthedocs pages) without going through gerrit/wiki etc.
  • A developer who has cloned gluster repo finds all the development related info in the repo itself(git grep etc) and does not need to go out of the code base.
  • A patch which changes a struct member should change the relevant developer documentation in the same patch set.
  • A patch which changes a user facing behavior should be ideally followed by a PR on glusterdocs repo. (patch owner and feature maintainer to ensure that).
  • Use github's PR for glusterfsdocs and hence use the comments system on github for that.
  • A developer doc change or a new feature proposal should be as patch on gluster repo and we can use gerrit's inline comments for discussion on that.