Re: [GIMP-developer] Discontinuation of mailing lists and moving to Discourse

Hey Kevin :)

I hope you're keeping well.

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 11:46:12AM -0400, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> On 2022-10-17 12:38, Jehan Pagès via gegl-developer-list wrote:
> > The GNOME Foundation has been moving all its discussions to a Discourse
> > forum, progressively:
>
> I misread the above and thought it referred to the live chat system called
> Discord. I wondered how that could possibly replace an email system.
>
> I found a message from GNOME about the change and found it is due to mailman
> still needing Python 2. I'm a little surprised that no one has volunteered
> to update it to work with Python 3.

There is a Mailman 3 which is a rewrite of Mailman and uses Python 3 as
the language. Some operators of Mailman 2 lists moved to Mailman 3. It
is not quite the same system, but depending on whether one wants to have
mailing lists, it can be used. An example is the Fedora mailing lists
that use Mailman 3.

An alternate that is also popular these days is mlmmj (mailing list
manager) + public-inbox (archive). An example is kernel.org which has
been switching lists to it.

email has its problems, and mailing lists have their issues with message
authentication schemes like DKIM, but an experienced person can make it
work well.

		Mukund