Discontinuation of mailing lists and moving to Discourse

Hello everyone!

The GNOME Foundation has been moving all its discussions to a Discourse
forum, progressively:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2022-September/msg00018.html

We were informed today that they are on the last stage of this migration
and that all the mailing lists will be fully retired by the end of October.
This implies also all of GIMP and GEGL mailing lists.

Instead, people wishing to discuss about GIMP are expected to use GNOME's
Discourse instance. In particular 2 tags were created for us:

* "gimp" tag for GIMP-related discussions:
https://discourse.gnome.org/tag/gimp
* "gegl" tag for GEGL-related discussions:
https://discourse.gnome.org/tag/gegl

We don't have as many tags as we used to have mailing lists, just these 2,
but since all our lists are quite low volume these days, I didn't think it
was worth asking, at least for now. GNOME admins confirmed that it would
not be a problem to add new tags in the future if we ever decided we needed
more (e.g. having a "gimp-dev" tag or whatnot).

By the way, noteworthy information: GIMP has had already an official
presence on pixls.us Discourse: https://discuss.pixls.us/gimp/
We discussed among the team if it was worth having presence on both pixls.us
and GNOME discourse and we came to the conclusion that the audience is
different, therefore it is interesting to stay on both communities. For
discussion with existing GNOME contributors, translators and various GNOME
users for instance, they might be already on the GNOME Discourse. On the
other hand, pixls.us is a much more specialized forum/community on
Photography in particular, and is also probably more platform-independent
too.

Last but not least, as I expect that some people might prefer interacting
by email, I tried to look up what are the possibilities. This thread
"Interacting with Discourse via email" is of interest:
https://discourse.gnome.org/t/interacting-with-discourse-via-email/46

It didn't have the ability to create new threads easily, especially tagged
with the "gimp" keyword. Discourse has a way to create a topic on a
specific category but we couldn't find for tags, for instance you can send
an email to community @ discourse.gnome.org (note that it doesn't work for
every category, e.g. it didn't work for infrastructure; I haven't tested
others). With Andrea Veri, GNOME Infrastructure admin, we came up with a
special email hook: any email with "[GIMP]" in the subject will be tagged
"gimp".
Nevertheless you need to have level 1 trust level for this to work. We
aren't sure exactly what it means other than having participated enough
(whatever "enough" is) to the Discourse first. 🤷

See:
https://discourse.gnome.org/t/gimp-how-to-send-emails-to-discourse-tagged-for-gimp-forum/11535

So I guess, let's continue discussing there everyone! 🤗

Jehan
GIMP maintainer

--
ZeMarmot open animation film