Re: [GIMP-developer] Discontinuation of mailing lists and moving to Discourse

Hi all!

It's worth noting that in general, you can use a Discourse forum _entirely_
in mailing-list mode if you want to.  That is, you'll still see emails
coming in from the system and can reply to them in your mail client of
choice.
On the backend, this translates into emails from you becoming forum posts
on discourse, and new posts showing up as new messages in your inbox.

We've got a bunch of users at pixls using it in mailing-list mode (myself
included for a while initially).

The caveat, of course, is that you'll still need to register for an account
on the forum in the first place (to provide your email address and set up
any settings you want initially).
Another caveat is that the forum administrators need to enable this as an
option - particularly for mailing *into* the forum to start a new topic (I
have this turned off be default on pixls but will enable it shortly for
y'all).

With that being said, if your primary view of internet forums is from
previous software stacks (simple machines, phpBB, etc.) I would *strongly*
suggest you give Discourse a fair shake.  It is light-years beyond any
forum software I've ever seen and the developers are focused on advancing
meaningful interactions and discussions.

Change sucks.  I understand.  Sometimes it's for a good reason and might
surprise you with its utility and features.

pat

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 10:46 AM Kevin Cozens <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2022-10-17 12:38, Jehan Pagès via gegl-developer-list wrote:
> > The GNOME Foundation has been moving all its discussions to a Discourse
> > forum, progressively:
>
> I misread the above and thought it referred to the live chat system called
> Discord. I wondered how that could possibly replace an email system.
>
> I found a message from GNOME about the change and found it is due to
> mailman
> still needing Python 2. I'm a little surprised that no one has volunteered
> to update it to work with Python 3.
>
> > Instead, people wishing to discuss about GIMP are expected to use
> GNOME's
> > Discourse instance. In particular 2 tags were created for us:
>
> The replacement to the mailing list is a forum based site. I don't like
> forums. I find it hard to follow the thread of a discussion. The use of a
> forum also means I have to go to the site, login, then search for messages
> that might be of interest to me. I don't see myself using the forum site.
>
> Once the mailing list goes away I will feel rather detached from the GIMP
> community and thus it will feel like the end of an almost 30 year
> involvement with the project. For now I will stay connected to the gimp
> IRC
> channel.
>
> --
> Cheers!
>
> Kevin.
>
> http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
> https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
>                                      | that's why we're powerful"
> Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
> #include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick

https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC