Re: Notice to documentation contributors: plans to update the gimp-help repository

Hi all!

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 7:47 PM Jehan Pagès <jehan.marmottard@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 11:13 AM Marco Ciampa via gimp-developer-list <
> gimp-developer-list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 06, 2021 at 01:38:21PM -0400, Jacob Boerema via
>> gimp-developer-list wrote:

>> but I
>> >
>> > It seems that they are having some trouble adding that dependency.
>> >
>> > They are suggesting using itstool as a possible better way to extract
>> > translation strings from XML files than using xml2po. We should
>> investigate
>> > this.
>> >

>> As I already wrote in the issue page:
>>
>> https://gitlab.gnome.org/Infrastructure/damned-lies/-/issues/236
>>
>> Why don't you install the distro package instead?
>> It probably has a name like this:
>>
>> python3-libxml2 (or at least it is that in Debian-Fedora-CentOS-Ubuntu...)
>>
>> yum install python3-libxml2
>>
>> or
>>
>> apt install python3-libxml2
>>

> Now Damned Lies has been updated appropriately and the master branch is
> properly processed again.
> Thanks to all who helped!
>
> So I proceeded with the branching which was planned. As of today,
> `gimp-help-2-10` is the branch to continue working on GIMP 2.10 series
> documentation. `master` is now dedicated to GIMP 2.99/3.0 so we can start
> documenting new unreleased features.
> I opened a bug report to Damned Lies to ask for this new branch to also be
> followed by the translation infrastructure:
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/Infrastructure/damned-lies/-/issues/239

Thanks to Claude Paroz for taking care of this last point!
Now the gimp-help module on Damned Lies follow both the `master` and
`gimp-help-2-10` branches: https://l10n.gnome.org/module/gimp-help/

Documentation is now fully ready to diverge. It also means anyone wanting
to help contribute on documentation for future GIMP 3 is very welcome to
start opening new sections/pages for the new features coming with GIMP 3,
even when they are still unfinished. To get a quick idea on these, the 3
development versions already released are a good start:

https://www.gimp.org/news/2020/11/06/gimp-2-99-2-released/
https://www.gimp.org/news/2020/12/25/gimp-2-99-4-released/
https://www.gimp.org/news/2021/05/08/gimp-2-99-6-released/

To go further, the NEWS file is obviously a bit more complete:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/blob/master/NEWS

And finally do not hesitate to ask us directly and discuss with us when you
don't understand something. The current mailing list is obviously a good
discussion point though the IRC channel may be a bit easier to catch people
(#gimp on GIMPnet).

It might also be a good starting point to discuss how to better synchronize
development and documentation. There is this whole help ID business (we can
assign an help ID to various parts of the GUI and when these have focus and
one hit F1 for instance, or when hitting the Help button on some dialog, it
brings you to the corresponding manual page/section) also which I think
would be worth being disentangled. How should devs choose the IDs? How
should documenters be made aware of new IDs? I think some process and more
communication would definitely be worth it.

Jehan