Re: Notice to documentation contributors: plans to update the gimp-help repository

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 03:46:13AM +0200, Jehan Pagès wrote:
> Hello all!

Sorry for the late reply...

> Some efforts is being made to improve a bit the documentation process:
>
> 1. A Python 3 port is being worked on right now by Jacob Boerema (see
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp-help/-/merge_requests/50). He nearly
> finished. I don't think anyone is against this since Python 2 is EOL, but
> if anyone has any comment, please feel free. Also Jacob has some issues
> with the `xml_helper.py` script so we wondered if this one was actually
> being used by anyone actually contributing to the documentation (because if
> not, and it is not considered useful anymore, maybe some time can be saved
> by dropping this script).
> In any case, feel free to test the associated branch and make any remark.

It's ok for me.

> 2. We are considering branching the tree (to `gimp-help-2-10`) so that the
> `master` branch will be used for preparing the documentation specific to
> GIMP 3, whereas any work specific to the 2.10.x series can continue on the
> new branch.

Ok I'll finish updating the Italian translation presumably tomorrow.

> We feel like these 3 plans could be done in about 2 weeks (so let's say the
> weekend of June 5/6), but if anyone feels like this is wrong, or that
> things should be done differently, please tell us before we merge the
> Python 3 port and branch the `master` tree, please.

It's ok for me.

> Róman Joost, Ulf-D. Ehlert, Marco Ciampa, Julien Hardelin, Michael Natterer
> and Michael Schumacher (all in BCC) in particular, you are the
> co-maintainers of this repository (if the `MAINTAINERS` and .doap files are
> still up-to-date), so we'd appreciate your input in particular. Any other
> contributor is welcome to give an opinion too of course. We don't want to
> do any mistake. 🙂
>
> The third plan we have (not within a 2-week schedule, but hopefully at
> least before GIMP 3 release) is that we wonder if a better process for
> releases of the documentation (on the website in particular) could not be
> done. Maybe we are wrong, but it feels like the release/update into the
> wild could be improved, couldn't it?
> What we are thinking are things like tagging the tree leading to automatic
> (or at least easier) build then publication of the documentation online,
> probably through the Continuous Integration pipelines (we have been
> improving GIMP release the same way lately, by generating source tarballs
> automatically, and these days, we are doing the same with the Windows
> installer).

I would appreciate (=volunteer to translate) a multilanguage site...

> So same here, if anyone has any opinion or wishes on how the documentation
> process should be improved, we welcome the ideas and propositions.

I have one for the future... I'll explain after the branch...

> Thanks all!

Thank YOU!

--

Saluton,