Re: GIMP development process

Hi Alex and all!

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 11:48:30 +0300
Alexandre Prokoudine via gimp-developer-list <gimp-developer-list@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 2:59 PM Jack 04 via gimp-developer-list
> <gimp-developer-list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Dear GIMP team,
> > I'm a software engineering student of University of Padova and I would like
> > to get some information about GIMP development process, in particular on
> > which methodology (i.e. waterfall model, v-shape model, agile methods,
> > SCRUM, XP, ...) you chose and why, finally how you have organized it and
> > implemented in the team.
> > Thank you in advance for your attention, I will wait for your answer.
>
> Hello,
>
> Simply put, we don't do any of that.
>
> We are not a company, we don't have any kind of a contract or boss,
> and only some of us receive humble donations.
>
> We have only rough planning of major releases. We usually set one or
> two major goals for every major release (e.g. 2.6, 2.8, 2.10, 3.0) and
> then work towards those goals. As there are many, many requests made
> by users, we end up with features that can be severely out of scope of
> major goals. Moreover, some features are contributed by new people who
> are not necessarily a part of what I might flamboyantly call the core
> team :)
>
> We don't set particular goals for minor releases (e.g. 2.10.22 or
> 2.99.4). It's typically a mix of some work towards a major goal, minor
> or major new features, UX/UI improvements, bug fixes etc.
>
> Please let me know if you need to know more.
>
> Alex

Thanks for replying so well. In addition, I and others have written:

* https://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/software-management/

* http://programming-motherfucker.com/

*
https://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/philosophy/putting-cards-on-the-table-2019-2020/putting-cards-on-the-table-2019-2020/big-minded-vs-small-minded.xhtml

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
Freecell Solver - https://fc-solve.shlomifish.org/

If Chuck Norris is disappointed by you not following his advice, he’ll survive.
On the other hand, you will not.
    — https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/facts/Chuck-Norris/