Re: GIMP-2.10 and GIMP2.99 are still sRGB-only image editors

On Thu, 2021-02-04 at 18:59 -0500, Elle Stone wrote:

> GIMP-2.10 does *NOT* produce correct editing results in color spaces
> other than sRGB. Neither does GIMP-2.99.

For sure you also get a dramatically bad result if you export as png of
jpeg from 32-bit images. But convert to 8-bit first and it's OK. So
clearly there's work to be done.

It might be that the attention Web browser makers are currently giving
to other colourspaces, wider gamut, and higher bit depth, will drive
demand - and, we can hope, lead to increased resources for GIMP too.

There are other areas where GIMP needs work, too - one of my own
interests is in text and better openType support for example - so we
are both in the same position in that that's more we'd like to see than
we can do. In my case i'm slowly doing experiments, but no patches
(yet?). In your case you're well ahead of me but the patches are very
hard to review, because colour management is so specialized.

Maybe the right conversation to have is, how can we get some more
programmers to spend their free time on GIMP.

[replying only to gimp-developer list, not user list as well]

Full-time  slave in voluntary servitude