Re: Python2.7 reaches end of life

Hi all!

> Since Python 2.7 reaches end of life (in a week), what is the roadmap  of
switching to Python3?

We are already using Python3 on master, as Elad said. Don't expect anything
to happen for the GIMP 2.10.x branch (which will continue to use Python 2,
even though deprecated, and so be it). Not because we don't want it, but
because we don't have the people to work on this. Also we can't just
invalidate all existing Python 2 plug-ins.

> As far as I understand, Jehan is coordinating it.

Just to make things clear, I coordinate as far as I was the only one
working on Python 3 port, and I am the one who initially ported libgimp* to
GObject Introspection. But I am happy if anyone decides to go all the way
out and take some responsibilities. ;-)

> I also understand that mitch created new methods for plugins for UI, and
I am not sure whether I am supposed to use them or not.

You are welcome to use any existing API. Or propose improvements and
patches if you feel it's not quite right yet. Until GIMP 3 is released,
even can change. I would even say that everything *should* change now if it
has to (after release, it will be too late as we will have to keep
compatibility for years to come).

> Personally, I am a bit stuck on creating UI for the plugins.

There is also the possibility to just create GUI the GTK+ way, manually by
calls to Gtk.* functions, widgets creation and whatnot. This is what C
plug-ins do. No reason we don't do it for Python ones too until we get
proper GUI generation.

Alternatively, you may already start porting partially the plug-ins,
without the GUI part for now and we can work on adding the GUI later, on a
second step. Iterative port is better than no port at all.

In any case, thanks for helping Elad. This is useful. I will look at your
patches and review at some point. Don't worry. :-)

Helmut, if you wish to join the fun, we'd be happy! :-)

Jehan

On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 6:38 PM Elad Shahar via gimp-developer-list <
gimp-developer-list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Helmut,
>
>  I also opened an issue to talk about porting. Not sure whether an issue,
> or this list is more appropriate.
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/4368
>
> I started porting histogram_export.py , so just avoid that one.
>
> Personally, I am a bit stuck on creating UI for the plugins. There is no
> automatic UI for plugins, like
> there was before.  I also understand that mitch created new methods
> for plugins for UI, and I am not sure whether I am supposed to use them or
> not.
>

> On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 7:18 PM Elad Shahar <dawn.ever@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The master branch supports Python3.
> >
> > As far as I understand, Jehan is coordinating it. I volunteered to help a
> > bit.
> > The latest plugin I ported is here, and still waiting for it be reviewed.
> > https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/4369
> >
> > Elad
> >

> > On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 1:54 PM Helmut Jarausch via gimp-developer-list <
> > gimp-developer-list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Since Python 2.7 reaches end of life (in a week), what is the roadmap
> >> of switching to Python3?
> >> Is there a Gimp version which supports Python3 already?
> >> Is there a 'repository' where plugins are stored which have been
> >> converted to Python3.
> >> Is there some coordination if I like to help in converting plugins?
> >>
> >> Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,
> >> Helmut

ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net