Re: Participation to GameDev room at FOSDEM

Hi Jehan & Alexandre,

Thanks for your answer.

I'm sorry there's no funding for coming to FOSDEM. We're all doing this pro
bono, and FOSDEM doesn't provide any funding either for devrooms.

If indeed nobody comes to FOSDEM apart for this devroom, then I totally
understand if you guys do not wish to spend a trip for so little time.
Maybe another time, I'm sure we'll have many occasions! :)

Also if you guys come to Rennes, I expect to come to the next occurrence of
GrafikLabor which I couldn't attend this year. I guess some of you guys
would be there too?

All the best,
Julian Murgia - Godot Engine

Le 01/12/2019 à 00:56, Jehan Pagès a écrit :

Hi Julian (and other Godot devs)!

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 11:01 PM Alexandre Prokoudine via
gimp-developer-list <gimp-developer-list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Julian!
>
> It took a while to ask everyone, sorry about that :)
>
> Unfortunately, none of us is going to be at FOSDEM in 2020.

After Alexandre told me why he was asking if we go to FOSDEM though, I'd
like to note that, even though we were not planning to be there, I'm not
against coming for the weekend if there is any funding (accomodation + trip
Paris-Brussel).

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 4:14 PM Julian Murgia <julian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Thus, we are calling for participations aimed at Free Softwares projects,
> involved closely or less closely in game development. These participations
> would consist in technical-oriented presentations during the GameDev room:
> game developers, game engine developers, tools developers are very
welcome.

Though when I read what you are looking for (technical talks for game
creation), it's close but not exactly our expertise. On our side, we make
animation films (https://film.zemarmot.net/
https://www.instagram.com/zemarmot/ to get an idea, we did this too:
https://framatube.org/videos/watch/9c9de5e8-0a1e-484a-b099-e80766180a6d ),
also 2D rather than 3D mostly.

Also is it *developers* oriented? Because I'm not sure what would interest
you which targets developers. Now maybe we could talk about animating or
something if it's not only for developers?

I don't know, reading your email and your CFP, I am just a bit unclear if
we can be a fit there since it seems a lot about talking about one's
experience about making games. And well… we don't have any (except for
minor hacks for fun years ago, maybe, but I would not call this experience!
Ahah) so not sure that's what you are looking for. 🙂

Or maybe we could just do some round table to discuss what people are
looking for in a 2D image creation tool for game making.

Apart from this, yeah we love hearing that you like using GIMP for game
creation and we'd love to talk about your usage. And indeed discuss about
how we can make things nicer both for you and us.

> GIMP is one mandatory tool in game developers toolbox. We'd also be happy
> to discuss your plans and your needs for GIMP development, and discuss
> assets workflow and integration into game and game engines.

I have been working on better extension management in GIMP, and when I read
about asset workflow/integration, I wonder if this cannot go within the
same plans. Well this would need to be discussed to know exactly what you
are looking for, I guess!

However, we are up for a meeting in late May during Libre Graphics
> Meeting, in Rennes, France:

Indeed we should be in LGM, as every year, so this can be a good
opportunity to meet as well.

As for FOSDEM, I am not against, but as said above, we need
trip/accomodation paid for at least, and discussing also what kind of talks
you want (we would not want to be a disappointment or look like a mismatch).

That's it. Have a good weekend and tell us what you think.
Have fun!

Jehan
GIMP / ZeMarmot / LILA non-profit

> https://libregraphicsmeeting.org/2020/en/index.html
>
> How does it sound for you?
>
> Alex
>
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 4:14 PM Julian Murgia <julian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> >  Hello,
> >
> > First of all I'm sorry if this was not the right place to send this
> email,
> > even though I believe it is addressed mostly to GIMP developers.
> >
> > I am a member of Godot Engine's organization team for FOSDEM. We have
> been
> > granted with a "Game Developers" room at FOSDEM, taking place in
> Brussels,
> > Belgium, on February 1st and 2nd 2020.
> > Even though we proposed this developers room, it will be about "*Free and
> > Open Source Game Development"* at large and not focused on Godot Engine.
> >
> > Thus, we are calling for participations aimed at Free Softwares projects,
> > involved closely or less closely in game development. These
> participations
> > would consist in technical-oriented presentations during the GameDev
> room:
> > game developers, game engine developers, tools developers are very
> welcome.
> >
> > GIMP is the most used image processing Free Software for almost all
> usages.
> > Our lead developer Juan Linietsky presented a nice tutorial for creating
> > graphics and textures using GIMP last year during our Godot Engine annual
> > convention (
> >
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrGLIt322jM&list=PLeG_dAglpVo5XPsWqBiXXg6wvee11yDeS
> ).
> > GIMP is one mandatory tool in game developers toolbox. We'd also be happy
> > to discuss your plans and your needs for GIMP development, and discuss
> > assets workflow and integration into game and game engines.
> >
> > You'll find some details on our past news post:
> > https://godotengine.org/article/cfp-game-development-room-fosdem-2020.
> If
> > you wish, you can of course respond to this mail for more precisions
> before
> > applying on FOSDEM's Pentabarf.
> >
> > Waiting for your reply,
> >
> > Best regards,