Re: Doing without pygtk ?

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 12:22:49AM +0200, Jehan Pagès wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 10:32 PM Ken Moffat via gimp-developer-list <
> gimp-developer-list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 04, 2019 at 08:18:26PM +0100, Ken Moffat via
> > gimp-developer-list wrote:
> >
> Is it a question because it is actually going to be impossible to have
> pygtk in some distributions in a close future?
> If so, which distribution, and for when?

It was a problem in Beyond Linux From Scratch, but for the moment we
have reverted to 2.42.4.

> > Builds fine with --disable-python.  Whether all users will find it
> > usable is a different matter ;-)
> >

> Yeah Python has always been an option but it is also a very important
> feature of GIMP. People will not be happy if their scripts suddenly stop
> working.
>
> This being said, we already dropped pygtk in the master branch (future Gimp
> 3), which now uses GObject Introspection for Python support (both 2 and 3)
> and much more (we tested with success already JavaScript and Lua too, and
> someone is working on Vala if not mistaken).
>
> Now when will GIMP 3 be released? Nobody can say. We'd really like GIMP
> 2.10 to keep Python 2 support for as long as possible.
>
> Jehan

It's good to know that master has dropped pygtk.  Here's hoping that
GIMP 3 is ready before python-2 stops getting vulnerability fixes.
Thanks for taking your time to reply.

ĸen
--
Adopted by dwarfs, brought up by dwarfs.  To dwarfs I'm a dwarf, sir.
I can do the rite of k'zakra, I know the secrets of h'ragna, I can