Re: GIMP 2.10 Unable to read tile data from swap

On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 9:59 AM, Ell <ell_se@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2 May 2018 09:16:46 -0400
> Partha Bagchi <partha1b@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > It started again after the final release. It was not there in RC1.
>
> So it only started at some point after RC1, but before 2.10? (days?
> weeks?)  I'm trying of think of things that changed during that time
> that might have caused this.  Did you change something on your end?

No, I mean that the change was related to the final release 2.10.0 and not
before. I had no reports prior to final release.

My changes are cosmetic. For example, I modify
./app/widgets/gimppanedbox.c
// #define INSTRUCTIONS_TEXT         _("You can drop dockable dialogs here")
#define INSTRUCTIONS_TEXT         _("")

I don't modify anything in babl or gegl.
My compiler is gcc 7.1

> > > This may be a affect of the transition from gegl 0.3 to 0.4?
>
> Not likely, especially if it already happened before 2.10.  The 0.4
> switch happened right before the release.

See above. As you say, 0.4 switch was literally before the final release.
In fact gimp.pc.in was changed after the release.

> > > In the past, it was related to complicated images with high
> > > resolution and usually setting GEGL_CACHE_SIZE to 2048 or
> > > thereabouts fixed it. Now, it does not.
>
> This sounds like you might have ran out of cache and swap space, in
> which case you'd start getting write errors.  These are read errors,
> which are much more surprising.

You are right. These are read errors.

> > I did the following. I set the following environment variables:
> > GEGL_SWAP=C:\Users\partha\AppData\Local\Temp\gegl
> > GIMP_NO_PAINT_THREAD="Y"
> >
> > It didn't make any difference.
>
> Ok, so it's not the separate paint thread.  That's a good thing :)
> What's the rest of your GEGL setup like?  Are you using any other
> environment variables?  What's the thread count?

My GEGL compilation of simply what environment variables? I only have one
GEGL variable active now: gpu usage.
My configure from the config.log is:

$ ./configure --prefix=/opt/gimp/std --build=x86_64-w64-mingw32
> CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/include -I/usr/python/include -I/opt/SuiteSparse/include
> LIBS=-L/opt/lib -L/usr/python/Lib -L/opt/SuiteSparse/lib --disable-docs
> --without-libavformat --without-sdl --enable-workshop
> build_alias=x86_64-w64-mingw32 CC=gcc CFLAGS=-O3 -ffast-math
> -ftree-vectorize CXX=g++ CXXFLAGS=-std=c++14 -DMS_WIN64 -O3 -ffast-math
> -ftree-vectorize
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/python/Lib/pkgconfig:/opt/share/pkgconfig:/opt/gimp/libmypaint/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/gimp/std/lib/pkgconfig
> --no-create --no-recursion

My thread count is 8. I've tried with thread count set to 1 with the same
result.

> > Matter of fact, GEGL_SWAP was unused.
> > So, I removed it and reran GIMP. No change.
>
> Do you mean that GEGL wasn't using the swap?  Can you use the dashboard
> to see if anything "interesting" is going on while this happens?  Is
> the cache full?  Is the swap nearly full?  Do the reported cache/swap
> size limits make sense?

OK. When I start the dashboard, I have the following:
Cache:

Occupied: 0 bytes (0%)

Limit: 7.9 GiB

Swap:

Occupied: 0 bytes (0%)

Size:         0 bytes (0%)

Limit:        114.7 GiB

CPU (0%)

Opened image (RGB Color 16-bit gamma integer, MelissaRGB 1 layer) 7378x4924
(D800 36MP image)
Duplicate Layer.
Dashboard:
Cache:

Occupied: 751.6 MiB (9%)
Limit:         7.9 GiB

Swap (no change)

Start painting on the layer:
Cache:

Occupied: 818.7 MiB (10%)

Limit:         7.9 GiB

Swap:

Occupied: 512.0 Kib (0%)

Size:         4.0 MiB (0%)

Limit:         114.7 GiB

CPU (0%)

But, we have:
GEGL Message

unable to read tile data from swap: No such file or directory (0/130568
bytes read) --

GEGL Message

unable to read tile data from swap: No such file or directory (0/130568
bytes read) --

GEGL Message

unable to read tile data from swap: No error (0/130568 bytes read) --

 Too many error messages etc.

> --
> Ell

Thanks,