Re: Pencil - Tool Options and Hardness

> 1. I think the pencil tool should be renamed "Pixel Tool" if it's to stay
> > in the Tool box.
> > Reasons:
> >   A. Jaggies don't make for realistic simulated pencil marks
> >   B. There are better pencil-simulation tools in the Brush palate
>
> I am not sure that renaming a tool that old would be a good idea. People
> know
> what to look for, and at the end of the day it's just a name. No one
> expects
> it to be a realistic pencil. At least no one accustomed to the tool (see
> Product Vision for the intended target audience).

I don't see anything in the Product Vision that says tools need to stay the
way they are because that's the way they've been.
Maybe a link to the specific area of the document would help me understand.

> I am using the two in parallel all the time when drawing masks. The brush
> for
> the edges and the pencil to fill in the bulk. Reason: I want to be sure
> that
> anti aliasing doesn't leave half transparent areas. So I have my left hand
> on
> the keyboard to hit 'x', 'n' and 'b' and the right hand on mouse/stylus.

We (you and I), make masks the same way. I also use "d" to reset the true
black and true white for foreground and background.
'b' is the paths tool... did you mean 'p'? If you are painting a mask
inside an area, using the Pencil tool runs the risk of producing jaggies on
your nice anti-aliased edges, which is why I never use it for that.

Anyway, the effect would be the same if you switched from brush to brush
using just the paint tool, and the modifications I've mentioned.

> 3. The Pencil Tool could be gotten rid of entirely if #2 is done, and an
> > anti-aliasing checkbox is added to the brush options.
>
> As Simon already mentioned, there are two levels of anti
> aliasing/blurring/thresholding/whatever we want to call it. Would that
> switch
> turn off both?

Yes. It would "snap" as Simon would say. :)

see my #4 for improving how thresholding with a gradient across a fussy
edged brush could be improved.
100% hardness would produce results more or less identical to what you get
with the Pencil tool now.