Re: Pencil - Tool Options and Hardness

On Thursday 23 June 2016 08:43:55 C R wrote:
> To recap:
>
> 1. I think the pencil tool should be renamed "Pixel Tool" if it's to stay
> in the Tool box.
> Reasons:
>   A. Jaggies don't make for realistic simulated pencil marks
>   B. There are better pencil-simulation tools in the Brush palate

I am not sure that renaming a tool that old would be a good idea. People know
what to look for, and at the end of the day it's just a name. No one expects
it to be a realistic pencil. At least no one accustomed to the tool (see
Product Vision for the intended target audience).

> 2. I think Brush settings should be brush specific instead of tool
> specific, and the brush should remember the modifications made to it
> instead of the tool storing that information.
> Reason: I can't think of a situation where you would want to use the
> current Pencil tool, and Brush tool in tandem. If we're keeping it in the
> Tool Box just to remember values between brushes, I'm not sure who it's
> benefiting. :)

I am using the two in parallel all the time when drawing masks. The brush for
the edges and the pencil to fill in the bulk. Reason: I want to be sure that
anti aliasing doesn't leave half transparent areas. So I have my left hand on
the keyboard to hit 'x', 'n' and 'b' and the right hand on mouse/stylus.

> 3. The Pencil Tool could be gotten rid of entirely if #2 is done, and an
> anti-aliasing checkbox is added to the brush options.

As Simon already mentioned, there are two levels of anti
aliasing/blurring/thresholding/whatever we want to call it. Would that switch
turn off both?

[...]

Tobias