Re: WGO Update Status

Awesome feedback!  (I thrive on having a task list in front of me!) :D

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 8:38 PM Jehan Pagès <jehan.marmottard@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1/ Is it possible to force the download page at least to be https?
> There are some companies which provides free certificates with root CA
> in all mainstream browsers.
>
> This would be a prerequisite to pretend to provide safe download. For
> instance I see the page provides checksums, which is good but is half
> meaningless if not provided through a secure channel like https (half
> because it still allows download corruption check, but not malevolent
> corruption integrity check).

I agree, but this is not a thing that I can do personally.  I'd refer to
the big gimper, schumaml to find out what the best course of action might
be here?  Not sure who best to obtain a cert through for our use.  If we do
get one, then it would make more sense to simply use it across the entire
site when we implement.

> 2/ Also still in the download page, could the download links for OS
> which have any (Windows and OSX) be made into colorful buttons? I
> believe this simplifies the download task.

Yes, absolutely.  Now that the porting is mostly done, I can start focusing
on styling elements of the page like the download links (they are cute
buttons on the current WGO, I'll aim for something in a similar vein for
SGO.

> 3/ If the exact Linux distribution (Fedora rightfully detected, for
> instance in my case) has been detected, it would be good to have the
> install information for this distrib at the top (and maybe even the
> others hidden, unless clicking a "see all Linux distribution" link).

I think this is a good idea as well, and will look into expanding the
detection/show logic to capture more specific instances like this.

> 4/ As sad as it is (for someone like me whose first distribution was
> Mandrake, later known as Mandriva), the Mandriva company has closed
> this year. The website has been down for many weeks, thus even though
> it has been saved many times in the last years, it seems that this
> time, it is really the end. You may as well remove it from the list.
>

> 5/ I propose to add Mageia (which is a community fork of Mandriva,
> born a few years ago) instead. Same install command as Mandriva.

I'm not sure if we want to remove mention of Mandriva completely for
historical reasons?  (I'm genuinely not sure - my first gut instinct is to
remove it for the reasons you've listed, and replace it with the Mageia
reference.  If anyone has a different thought let me know - otherwise I'm
going with your suggestion).

> 6/ For Fedora, yum is dead. The right install command is: "dnf install
> gimp" (well yum will still work but will output a deprecation warning
> and redirect to dnf). Of course, you may provide both commands if you
> want to be as backward compatible as possible.

Thank you, I'll update accordingly!

> 7/ Mint is quite well spread too. I propose to add it to the "Ubuntu,
> Debian" list. (Mint is mostly derived from Ubuntu, except for one
> version derived from Debian)

I agree, and will add it to the list!  Thank you so much for taking the
time to have a look and provide detailed feedback!