Fast-painting using the undo stack

Hi,
I'm looking for a way to implement a fast-painting animation using GIMP.What I'd like to achieve is a tool that allows the artist to just paint, and with a press of a button produce a video of the painting process. I'm looking for solutions that integrates with the painting program, because screen-capture programs display things (toolboxes, mouse) which I don't want to appear in the final video.
I'd like to know whether I'm inventing something that's already invented, discuss possible implementation strategies, and ask for pointers on how to start.One idea I had was to use "duplicate layer" every n milliseconds (or on mouse movement, after n milliseconds have passed), then save each layer as an image and create the video out of these images.
Another idea is to make an undo point every n milliseconds, then play the undo stack and save each step. I suppose it will take less memory than the first idea, which does not seem like a a scalable one.
As far as I can tell, both these ideas cannot be implemented as plugins (I cannot duplicate the layers every n milliseconds with a plugin, I cannot modify the undo behavior of basic painting tools, and I cannot play the undo stack with a plugin) Is that correct?
Any comments on this, as well as pointers to the code, will be appreciated.Thanks in advance,Uri Simchoni