Re: Question about bundled "iBryte" GIMP installer

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 4:55 PM, Chris Mohler <cr33dog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2011/7/14 Christopher Curtis <ccurtis0@xxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>> This may not be accurate.  Current GIMP releases are GPLv3:
>
> Oops - guess I need to pay more attention while lurking ;)  I thought
> the GPLv3 switch was still in the works...

Andrew didn't mention if the binary in question was a 2.6.x or 2.7.x
so we can't be sure which applies.  However, to try to answer Andrew's
original question:

The GIMP team doesn't officially release executables - only source
tarballs - at http://www.gimp.org/downloads/ .  As such, I think it's
safe to assume that it is expected that others will compile and
redistribute the resultant binaries.  It's kinda crappy when people
bundle spyware with GIMP, but they are free to do so as long as they
comply with GIMP's license.

Chris