Re: Question about bundled "iBryte" GIMP installer

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 20:54:42 +0200, =?utf-8?Q?Jernej_Simon=C4=8Di=C4=8D?= wrote:
> On Thursday, July 14, 2011, 19:34:08, Andrew Brandt wrote:
>
>> -- Are third parties permitted, according to your EULA, to bundle your product this way?
>
> GIMP is licensed under the GNU General Public License, version
> 2. The GPL only covers redistribution (not usage, which isn't
> limited in any way), which is allowed provided that certain criteria
> are met - specifically, anybody receiving the software has to get
> the same rights of redistribution, and at the same time also has to
> be able to get the source code from the same place where the binary
> was obtained (the source code has to match the binary exactly; it
> also has to be provided from the same place as the binary, unless
> the one providing the binary has an agreement with a 3rd party
> that's providing the source code).

There's more to it than that; the GPL has to be passed through,
allowing downstream recipients to modify, distribute, etc. it under
the terms of the GPL.  So if someone were to extract the GIMP package
from the bundle and distribute that, I believe (IANAL) that that would
be completely kosher.