Porting GIMP plugins to GEGL operations - GSOC 2011

Hello sir,

I am Shivani 2nd year student at IIIT-Allahabad( Indian Institute Of Information Technology, Allahabad ). I have a programming experience with C, C++,QT and Java. Besides this I have also worked with OpenGl(glut/glu). I have Graphics Visualization and Computing as one of the core subject of this semester. Studying the plugins I find it very similar to using a combination of QT and opengl.
I am very eagerly interested in Image Manipulations and designing and I would like to contribute to porting the plugins to GEGL operations.Currently I am working on designing an UCI chess engine ( coding in C++ ) and making a virtual tour of my college campus by opengl.Both of the projects will be complete by the end of April.

Here is the code review and algorithm for the major files specified as a test ( please correct me if I am wrong ) -

Cubism

header file - libgimp/gimp.h makes all basic plugin elements available to us.

Structures defined-
 1. Polygon - containing detail for polygon construction

 2. CubismVals - holds details for generation of tiles such as -tile saturation , tile size, background color and bool preview.
background color - if no bg color specified then black is used while applying the filter.
tile size - determines size( in pixels ) of the square to be used.
tile saturation- determines the intensity of the color of the squares thereby defining the opacity of square.

Local Variables -
 1. cvals - storing default values for the parameters of the structure CubismVals.

 2. GimpPlugInInfo PLUG_IN_INFO - Contains four pointers to different functions which are called during plugin execution.
a)init - optional(can have null value) and is called as GIMP starts up. It can be called if we want to register some procedure conditionally on some files prescence.
b)quit - also optional( can have null value ) and is called when GIMP is going to close.
c)query - called when the plugin comes into existence or every time when it is modified.
d)run - it is the plugin processing function which receives the plugin name, input parameters, number of return values, pointer to output parameters.

MAIN() - it is a macro defined for calling the initialisation and calling appropriate functions that our plugin needs during its life time.

Functions -

1. query() - defines the input arguments
Structure GimpParamDef contains - type, name and description.
It registers the function in the path specified as here under "<Image>/Filters/Artistic"

2. cubism_dialog (GimpDrawable *drawable) -
opens a dialog box for the user for specifying the basic input parameters. This also function holds the basic layout informaion for the dialog box. It clearly mentions the existence of two scale bars ( tile saturation,tile size ), preview window, toggle button( use background color ) and ok button. User can change the value of parameters and have a preview for every changed argument.The widget does not gets destroyed until the ok button( signal - GTK_RESPONSE_OK ) or cancel button is pressed and the final parameters are then saved.

3. cubism (GimpDrawable *drawable,GimpPreview  *preview) -

Every variable of the GimpDrawable struct has a drawable id, width, height,bytes per pixel,number of tile rows, number of tile columns, normal tiles and shadow tiles. Here we check if the drawable has an alpha channel associated with it. Alpha channel can be there with the layer types such as RGB, GRAYSCALE and it defines the amount of opacity of the layer.

Here in this function it checks whether cubism effect has to be applied in the preview window or on the main image and accordingly performs the task.
For preview window -
It gets the preview window position and the preview area width, preview area height sets the bound and allocates 'sel_height * sel_width * bytes' memory locations of type guchar all initialised to 0 and pointed by dest.

If not preview - then directly set bounds based on drawable->id

Now we determine the background color. If it is set as default 'Black' then we initialise the bg_col array with 0, otherwise we get the background color and set the bg_col array with it. Then we calculate the number of rows and columns based on tile_size.

It fills the image based on the background color.

If it is for preview then it directly assigns each destination byte with the color in bg_color.
Otherwise - While creating the cubistic transformation it displays the progress bar having a label - 'Cubistic Transformation' . It now loops through every pixel and initialises the background color to the colour of the original image.Now based on the number of rows and columns it calculates the number of tiles. Initialise a pixel region pointed by src_rgn ,new region being attached to drawable region, (x1,y1) as initial coordinates, width as (x2-x1)and height as (y2-y1).Based on tile size and random indices it calculates the random starting points( x, y ), then random width and height and random angle( theta ). It initialises a polygon, translates it to starting point( x,y ) and rotates it. Now by making use of CLAMP macro it checks whether the starting point x and y lie within the specified range ( x1, x2-1 ) and ( y1, y2-1) respectively then it fills the buffer pointed by col with the value of pixel (ix,iy) in the region src_rgn.col. It fills the respective polygon and updates the image.

4. fill_poly_color (Polygon *poly,GimpDrawable *drawable, GimpPreview  *preview,guchar *col,guchar *dest) -

It uses polygon fill algorithm(scanline) to fill the polygon. Find the distance between the two points, if the dist > 0 then initialise the vector vec by the unit vectors else by 0.Now we initialise the pixel region pointed by src_rgn, but the point to be noticed here is that we keep the last 2 parameters as TRUE, TRUE which define that the src_rgn will be used to write the shadow tiles. We first write the shadow tiles and then merge changes from the shadow tile to the current selected image.

polygon_extends function is used to calculate the minimum and maximum of x and y values and from it we initialise the size_y, size_x . Besides it min_scanlines, max_scanlines, min_scanlines_iter, max_scanlines_iter are also allocated memory and initialised. Now apply convert_segment for every two points of a segment to find min and max values.

After all prior calculations now we fill the polygon. A memory location vals of size = size_x is initialised.Now we use the vector 'vec' which we initialised in the begining of this function to calc_alpha_blend which returns the alpha value between 0.2 to 1.0 and the buf buffer is actually used to hold the color(+opacity) for each pixel

Fractal trace -

header file - libgimp/gimp.h makes all basic plugin elements available to us.

Enumerator holding the types for the region outside the mandelbrot fractal - OUTSIDE_TYPE_WRAP,  OUTSIDE_TYPE_TRANSPARENT,  OUTSIDE_TYPE_BLACK,  OUTSIDE_TYPE_WHITE

Structures defined-
 1. parameter_t - it holds the input values for the mandelbrot fractal.
x1 - minimum x value
x2 - maximum x value
y1 - minimum y value
y2 - maximim y value
depth - number of iterations
outside_type - type of layer outside the fractal. can have any value as defined in the enum above.

 2. selection_t - parameters for the selected region - x1, y1, x2, y2, width, height, center_x, center_y

 3. image_t - holds info about the image including its width, height, alpha value,bytes per pixel

 4. pixel_t - holds the coloring info for each pixel including the RGB value along with alpha it any.

 5. preview - holds the preview info including the preview obj, pixels, scale, width, height, bpp.
Local Variables -

 1. GimpPlugInInfo PLUG_IN_INFO - Contains four pointers to different functions which are called during plugin execution.
a)init - optional(can have null value) and is called as GIMP starts up. It can be called if we want to register some procedure conditionally on some files prescence.
b)quit - also optional( can have null value ) and is called when GIMP is going to close.
c)query - called when the plugin comes into existence or every time when it is modified.
d)run - it is the plugin processing function which receives the plugin name, input parameters, number of return values, pointer to output parameters.

MAIN() - it is a macro defined for calling the initialisation and calling appropriate functions that our plugin needs during its life time.

Functions -

1. query() - defines the input arguments
Structure GimpParamDef contains - type, name and description.
It registers the function in the path specified as here under "<Image>/Filters/Map"

2. pixels_init (GimpDrawable *drawable) -

initialises the pixel region pointed by *sPr ,  starting point (0,0) width and height being - image->width, image->height and the region will be used to read the actual drawable datas.

initialises the pixel region pointed by *dPr ,  starting point (0,0) width and height being - image->width, image->height and the region will be used to the region will be used to write to the shadow tiles.

initialise 2 references to 2 memory locations - spixel for source and dpixel for destination. Each of them hold the pixel values for each column
In the next for loop we get all pixel of a row in spixel[y] and we iterate over from col 0 - height so as to cover whole image row wise.

3. pixels_free( ) -
to free the source and destination pixel arrays.

4. pixels_get() -
In this function each pixel is initialised the appropriate color + alpha value depending upon the bpp( bytes per pixel ) from the spixel .

5. pixels_get_biliner (gdouble  x, gdouble  y, pixel_t *pixel) -
for a particular pixel it calculates x1 = floor(x) and x2 = x1+1 and then it gets the pixel color info for following pixels-  (x1,y1),(x1,y2),(x2,y1)(x2,y2).After this it gets the aggregate alpha value and if this aggregate alpha value for the pixel(x,y) is not zero then it redefines the RGB values for that pixel

6. pixels_set (gint x, gint y, pixel_t *pixel ) -
sets value for the destination pixel based upon the bpp for the current image.

7. pixels_store() -
sets the pixels pointed by dPr by values of buffer dpixel. It draws pixels from values (0,y) to (0+width-1,y).

8. mandelbrot (gdouble  x, gdouble  y, gdouble *u, gdouble *v) -
This function calculates the x, y values till the iterator < depth. It initialises xx = x, yy = y.And then on every iteration yy = 2*xx*yy + y and xx = x^2 - y^2 + x and updated x^2 = xx and y^2 = yy  after every iteration.

9. filter( GimpDrawable *drawable ) -
calculate the scale_x and scale_y parameters. Iterate row wise from bottom to up  and calculate px, py from mandelbrot. If the returned values lie between the image bounds i.e 0 <= px <= width and 0 <= py <= height then apply pixel_biliner to calculate corresponding color+alpha value.
Else if the pixel does not lie within the bounds then it makes use of the enum defined variables to color the image.
In case of OUTSIDE_TYPE_WRAP - if( px < 0 ) set px = px + image.width and similarly for height and then use pixel_biliner() to get pixel color.
In case of OUTSIDE_TYPE_TRANSPARENT - r = g = b = a = 0;
In case of OUTSIDE_BLACK - r = g = b = 0, a = 255
In case of OUTSIDE_TYPE_WHITE - r = g = b = a = 255

gimp_progress_update() updates the progress bar labelled by "Fractal Trace" as the image is being mapped to destination .Finally the shadow tiles are merged and the drawable image is updated.

10. dialog_show() -
Sets up the dialog box to set parameters for the mandelbrot fractal.There are groupped radio buttons including - Wrap, Transparent,Black, White for the outside type. 5 state bars exist each for x1,x2,y1,y2 and depth value and an ok button clicking on which leads to release of signal (GTK_RESPONSE_OK ) thereby saving the parameters and destroying the widget. We can change the parameters indefinitely and have a look in a preview window.

Plasma -

header file - libgimp/gimp.h makes all basic plugin elements available to us.

Structures defined-
 1. PlasmaValues - it holds parameters - seed, turbulence,random_seed
turbulence - controls complexity of plasma. High values give hard feeling to the cloud( like an abstract oil painting or mineral grains), low values produce a softer cloud (like steam, mist or smoke). The range is 0.1 to 7.0.
random_seed - controls randomisation element.

Local Variables -

 1. GimpPlugInInfo PLUG_IN_INFO - Contains four pointers to different functions which are called during plugin execution.
a)init - optional(can have null value) and is called as GIMP starts up. It can be called if we want to register some procedure conditionally on some files prescence.
b)quit - also optional( can have null value ) and is called when GIMP is going to close.
c)query - called when the plugin comes into existence or every time when it is modified.
d)run - it is the plugin processing function which receives the plugin name, input parameters, number of return values, pointer to output parameters.
 2. pvals - default plasma values.

MAIN() - it is a macro defined for calling the initialisation and calling appropriate functions that our plugin needs during its life time.

Functions -

1. query() - defines the input arguments
Structure GimpParamDef contains - type, name and description.
It registers the function in the path specified as here under "<Image>/Filters/Map"

2. plasma_dialog(GimpDrawable *drawable)-
creates a dialog box for selecting the parameters for plasma view. It contains a preview window,preview toggle button, random seed, scale bar for turbulence.New seed button clicking on which sets new seed. Randomise check-button will set the seed using the hardware clock of the computer. Can change the parameters any number of time, have preview in preview window. On clicking the OK button GTK_RESPONSE_OK signal is released and final image is generated.

3. plasma( GimpDrawable *drawable, gboolean preview_mode ) -
intialise a pixel by pixel_init(). It then checks in the selected figure a rectangle exists or a point. If it is not a point it will try to reduce it to a point by placing the seed pixel in all of the corners and then at the center as well.Now we recurse deep into the image by do_plasma until we reach the desired depth.

5. add_random( GRand  *gr, guchar *pixel, gint amount ) -
generates a random int between -amount to +amount for every alpha value and adds it to the pixel.

4. do_plasma()-
  calculates the center of the rectangle( xm, ym ). For depth = -1 it calculates the random values of color for the center of rectangle, corners of rectangle and center of each edge and then returns FALSE.
  For depth = 0 - it gets pixels for all the corner points.ran = (gint) ((256.0 / (2.0 * scale_depth)) * pvals.turbulence) is used to add_random values to the result.Now we do divide the region into four parts and based on that we do the analysis. For the left region - average the values, add_random values and put_pixel in the position. For the right region , top region , bottom region also do the same task.For the middle pixel it does the same work but first calculates the average from t1, br buffer and then average from b1, tr buffer and then the average of the two results obtained, followed by add_random and put_pixel in destination.
If pixel depth is not zero then it calls this function recursively for the four different regions of the rectangle until the recurssion unwinds.

--
Shivani Maheshwari
Under Graduation( BTech.)