Re: CMYK file export plug-in

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 4:52 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre.prokoudine@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Right, all colorspaces are equal, but some are more equal than others
>>> :-) The willingness to go from a wider gamut to a narrower gamut for
>>> editing what will then go to a different color space once again is,
>>> er, equally amazing :)
>>
>> I just mean that they should be treated similarly :)
>
> For photography? I very much doubt that. When it comes to all things
> related to photography, the point is to preserve as many colors as
> possible. Which is how all those ProPhotoRGB and the like were
> introduced all those years ago. Jumping between wide and narrow gamuts
> effectively kills useful information. Hardly better colors, sorry.

I was influenced by Dan Margulis. I try to follow his ideas in Gimp,
instead Photoshop.
He generally assumes that photography is made from 10 channels: R, G,
B, L*, A*, B*, C, M, Y, K and you can use any subset of them to
generate good quality image with good colours.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Margulis)

And everything works as expected, with the exception of realtime
preview. I just decompose image to LAB or CMYK then use these layers
for increasing contrast, masking, etc... but using curves in LAB or
CMYK is very hard without preview, because you have to "imagine"
colors. The good thing is that GMIC has support for these colorspaces
now, and RawTherapee is developing fast.

PS. sorry for offtopic