Re: GIMP vs Photoshop

We are not speaking about the same thing. The fact that you want to change some channels in some color model does not mean that the internal representation of images must be based on this color model. You need tools for generating a proper CMYK representation of you image, suited to your printing shop hardware, but that does not mean that the image you handle must use this representation from the beginning.

RGB is the internal representation of the images. It's also a color model, not especially suitable for manipulating colors. Thus you need tools that handle the image in more convenient color spaces. When you define a color using the color chooser, I suppose you work in HSV, not RGB?