Re: Photoshop “compatibility” mode

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Liam R E Quin <liam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-01-30 at 01:43 +0100, Bogdan Szczurek wrote:
>
>> The thing is, that we concluded that permamenet transition or even
>> occasional use of Gimp would be much more appealing for Ps-bred guys
>> (like me ;)) if one would have possibility to use the same (or at least
>> much similar) keyboard shortcuts.
>
> There's some danger here -- as people in Germany found when they
> compared moving to KDE or Gnome from Windows: when the new system is too
> similar to the old, people start going into automatic mode, and trip up
> much more over the differences.

I think the problem then is the differences; creating more differences
isn't a good solution.

Things tend to converge over time, and that's a good thing.  The <F1>
key is almost universally known as the help key today.  Having each
application provide it's own "Help" accelerator is to nobody's
benefit.

The world would be better if each application domain had a consistent
set of core accelerators.  File->New, File->Save, Cut/Copy/Paste, etc.
are good for most all applications.  For a graphics program, common
tools like Pencil, Eraser, Move, Crop, etc. should have consistent
accelerators.  Accelerators can diverge where the application domain
differs of course (e.g. raster versus vector editors) and where
applications specialize (tablet support versus not), but within each
sub-domain consistent cross-application accelerators would be better.

I don't know what (each version of) Ps uses, but it would be
beneficial to look at what they are, how they compare to other apps
(PSP, Paint.Net, iPhoto, Krita, etc.) and see if they make sense for
GIMP as well.  This should probably be done periodically to promote
application convergence for the general users' benefit (i.e: don't
think of them as application accelerators, but as accelerators for
graphics professionals) even if it means that accelerators
occasionally change between versions.

Chris