Re: Photoshop “compatibility” mode

Hi!

> > Lately I've been discussing with a collegue of mine some differences
> > between Gimp and Photoshop and how long-time Ps user feel when
> > seated in front of Gimp. I knowâ I knowâ the neverending subject,
> > but I'm not trying to start the flame again,
>
> Do you genuinely expect us to believe it? :)))

Since it being the truthâ yup :) (but I'm glad it made you smile :))

> > So, how about a small extension to GUI to let one choose one of
> > predefined shortcut sets and including âPhotoshop compatibleâ
> > shortcuts to the source tree? I know many people would be much
> > pleased with that, since a seasoned Ps user tend to rather âjust
> > poke the right keyâ to do his bidding that to wander through the
> > menu. I'm not trying to prove one shortcut scheme better than the
> > other.
> >
> > Now seriouslyâ what do you think?
>
> Being the utter bastard who updated the Photoshop mocking keyboard
> scheme file a while ago to match CS4 shortcuts I can only say that I'm
> terribly sorry about having done it.

A wicked doing indeedâ ;) Anyway, I'm not trying to discuss if such
scheme should be made (it is and will be done regardles of one's views)
but if it is a good thing to have such a scheme budled with standard
GIMP release.

> Here is my reasoning.
>
> Shortcuts are integral part of the whole thing that shapes habits of
> users, especially the motor function. If you keep a bug chunk of
> interaction from one application and replace one of its integral parts
> with a bit from a different application with different approach to
> user interfaces, you get a monster of a very nearly tentacular nature.
>
> By adding the scheme switch you advertize this monster (well, a
> halfhearted measure at best). As we use to say in Uberwald, if you
> don't want a monster, you don't pull a lever :)

I see possibiliy of choosing right away between different predefined
shortcut sets as an extension of the idea of user defined accelerators.
In the end if one allows users to create their own shortcuts then one's
giving them the aformentioned lever anyhow. The only difference is how
convenient it is in use ;). The thing that I can't agree upon is what
it releases ;).

> P.S. So, should I go ahead and update it again to match CS5? :)

I'd love to have it! :)

Best regards!
thebodzio