Re: Developer Boot Camp?

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Eric Grivel <gimp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am getting the impression that the Gimp project is trapped in a
> chicken-and-egg problem with regard to attracting new contributors,
> where the few core developers are too busy maintaining the product to
> spend a lot of time helping new developers come on board.
>
> Gimp is an extremely large and complex system. I am a fairly experienced
> coder myself, and have recently submitted patches for two open bugs. But
> At this point, knowing how busy the core Gimp developers are, and
> recognizing that it will take more time for them to walk me through a
> problem and a solution than it would take them to just fix the issue
> themselves, I am hesitant to ask for a lot of help. On the other hand,
> the idea of just delving in and figuring it out myself is quite daunting.
>
> Which is where my thought of a "boot camp" came in. What if there was a
> group of potential new developers all struggling with the same learning
> This would require some serious commitment of time by one or more of the
> Gimp developers, and would mean other work wouldn't get done. The
> potential payoff however in the form of bringing one or more additional
> Gimp developers up to speed could be significant.

I find myself in the same situation. I popped up in late December with
an interest in getting GEGL more fully integrated into GIMP (I'd like
to see 8+ bpc support), and Øyvind gave me some pointers and partial
code for what he wants to happen next (so I'm one of the time sinks he
referred to a couple of days ago). I'm still working to figure out the
seemingly recursive concepts.

Thanks,
Pete