Re: Why GIMP is Inadequate

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Martin Nordholts <enselic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 01/13/2011 01:39 AM, Malix wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> on this blog there is a post about Gimp that generate a lot of user comments.
>> http://troy-sobotka.blogspot.com/2011/01/why-gimp-is-inadequate.html
>> I think that someone of you that can replay to false things must post a replay.
>>

> To me, most of his criticism is legitimate. I don't agree with all of
> it, but it's not all "false". I don't see the point in treating him as
> hostile; it just help him prove his point that we can't take criticism.
>
> If we keep improving GIMP and stick to our plan, I am confident we will
> eventually address all of the shortcomings he points out.

Most of the short-coming he is pointing out are things we are well aware of,
and that the existing developers have invested copious amounts of our time
towards fulfilling. We are well on the way towards having addressed quite a few
of them, the post and many of the commenters are perpetuating opinions and
attitudes that might cause even fewer people contributing; and existing
volunteers of open source software to stop bother volunteering their time and
knowledge towards creating tools for users without sense of neither tact nor
gratiude. I am not at all amused.

The only sane response to the shit storm he has caused is to be responsive and
friendly towards people who seriously do contribute to GEGL and GIMPs future,
on bugzilla, mailinglists and irc.

/Øyvind K.
                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/