Re: donations for GIMP 2.8

Hi everyone,

You may know me as the student who coded the cage tool during this summer.

I'd like to add something about these bounty. For me, the key point
for the health of the community dev of Gimp is the current difficulty
to be used to the codebase. I myself had a hard time to understand how
things works in the code, and how to do things. The main cause of
these difficulty is the lack of technical documentation. We sometimes
need to read hundred lines of code just to know what an objet actually
do. The code architecture is obscur for most of the dev, and if we
loose the key dev, we will have hard time. If i haven't the pressure
of the GSOC program, I probably abandoned.

I once asked why we don't have these documentation. The answer i had
is that writing documentation is boring, that's like that in free
software, you just have to deal with.

That's a vicious circle. The less we have docs, the less we have dev.
And so, and so ...

My idea is to use this money to reverse the trend. Lets give bounty
for these docs. Here is some example of documentation I think is
needed:
- How to write a cool GObject for Gimp
- How to write a cool Gegl op
- A summary of what do core object if it's not already documented

Just have a look on what Blender's dev do to present their work, and
compare Blender and Gimp activity.
http://code.blender.org/index.php/2011/01/a-look-at-point-cache/

I hope this message will go somewhere ...

--
Michael Muré