Re: GUI enhancement patch from GIMP UI brainstorm blog

Can I add something?
You all may be right - discussing and checking UI changes are very very
important and additional optional features are not the solution. And it
makes sense to have one person (or a small group) that knows the way to
go and keeps the overview. And on the other side, I can completely
understand the TO - the current UI is definitely worth some polishing so
he has invested some time and wants to get his stuff in. And on the
first glance his fixes look very cool.

All fine to now, two controversial opinions that may be solved by some
trade-off... But I still have to give some critique: I have experienced
similar incidents quite a few times. Again, you may all be right and I
understand your perspective. But if you want to get/keep contributors
you want to consider *how* to stress your workflow. Please try some
empathy: somebody invests a lot of time (and even more important does
the step to actually start doing something) and is rejected with not too
much thankfulness. Or at least it sounds like that. I know about some
people that wanted to contribute but also gave up due to bad help and
harsh conversation.
Sure, I understand that also you guys do it for free. My respect for
this, truly. But it's only a small hint. Either you want GIMP going
forwards then you should do everything to support it or you don't want
it (what I don't think) then you also would not have to invest your
precious time in the project.
You can have your opinion, your workflow, your casual
how-to-deal-with-new-features. But before rejecting contributors one
should thank and laud them. And emphasize that one likes the changes but
before implementing them has to re-consider and double-check them. And
maybe offer some help or time-limit for the check. Otherwise it sounds
like "thanks, we keep it in some temp file and maybe we find it in some
years again but at the moment, no chance". Lauding would be the way to
go in order to keep people motivated and in a good mood spending more
time on the project. Since years I read about complaints GIMP has only 2
or 3 full developers and releases delay and delay. This will definitely
not change with sentences like "nice try, but: no."

You can ignore me if you think you should. I just had to try giving some
explanations and in this way maybe helping the GIMP project. And again,
I hold your work in high respect and am happy you do the stuff you do.
That's no general criticism. It's only a little proposal how to do even
better :)

Regards,
Mathias