Gimp on OSX, Mac App Store and Funding

Hello Folks.
I'm a simple user, with some very limited knowledge of software developing but with some knowledge of management and having read many discussions on OSS and as a very raw user of Gimp on OS X i would to suggest something to this discussion list.

I went to the Gimp on Mac site the other day for seeing if any updates were available and saw the plead for help of the mac developer as he is only one and seriously needs help. I can't help on the programming unfortunately but i had other idea.

As you know Apple is launching its App Store on Mac OS X somewhere in the next month.  This will allow for a significant number of users an easy way to look for software, download and install it, with reduced complexity and steps. Quite similar (equal) to the package manager in all of the linux distros but  most domestic users never used/tried a linux system so...

My idea is this: Put Gimp on the App Store. with a symbolic fee, let's say 2.5$ . If the 70/30 ratio of apple store is applied, then that should be 1.75$ for each download. This could be a significant source of income for the Gimp Project, the Gimp on Mac and could possibly allow a single developer to be committed full-time to it. This symbolic fee could be either for each 2.X updates or perpetual, that is open to discussion, i'm not that sure on the details.

Now before any flamming and discussion on the GPL, i would like to state that the App Store webpage on Gimp should clearly state that this is opensource software, that you can download the source and/or the binary from the project page and that this is essentially a donation to the project combined with a easy software install and upgrade management.

If the app store is a sucess, as i think it will, then most users will already have an account and a credit card associated, as in itunes store. and that means that the donation and install of Gimp on mac is just a "click away". Now that is a powerfull aid for the "normal" user wich doesn't want to go around looking for stuff on the wild wild web and the easy install combined with the app store "top apps" could seriously make Gimp very much visible to the "masses".  And provide a steady flow of income to the project. Wich could help Gimp and Gimp on OS X immensely.

Just food for thought and my very small two cents for the project.

Thank your for this great product.

filipe