Re: unsharp mask

On 11/23/2010 03:50 AM, gg@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> ... elision by patrick ...
> What is the aim here? Unless I've missed the point, it seems like a
> trade-off between computation time for the matrix and memory footprint
> of storing all the possible values that matrix could hold.
>
> That's fairly bit of memory to grab if there's not a real need. How long
> does it take to calculate matrix each time? Is this even a noticeable
> proportion of the time required to apply the filter to an image?
You're right.  When the image of the plugin is only 7k
or so, and the dynamically allocated memory for the
matrix is 1/99th of the size of the static array, in
comparison it's a fair bit.  The only place we'd care
about it would be at initial load of the plugin.  It's
still kb vs mb or gb of an image, so it's not a lot in
real terms.  The time to calculate the matrix each time
is not noticeable on any modern computer.  Shoot,
running it 100 times to make the include file was only
a few milliseconds.  The only reason I looked at it was
because someone was talking about it and I wondered
whether it was wasted time to calculate it each time
the radius was less than 10.  It filled in time while
my brain was figuring out a templating problem in the
background.  It was a fairly meaningless exercise to
avoid being annoyed at something I _couldn't_ figure
out just then.  My brain is really content to stay busy
solving meaningless problems for fun though;)  To
really know, you'd have to do tests each way to see if
it really made any difference either way, and I suspect
it doesn't.  It's certainly not what holds anything up
in the user's experience of the plugin.  For a few, it
might make a difference in comprehensibility, but I
doubt it.  A comment that says what the method
calculates, vs a similar comment that the table is the
result of such calculations doesn't seem much of a
difference.
> If I've got the wrong end of the stick, what is the problem with the
> current code?
I like that expression.  Clearly means, "If I'm wrong"
only longer and more colorful.  I wonder where it came
from?  I don't think I've heard it before.  Is it from
a particular region of the world?  Growing up in Texas
we had a LOT of cool expressions.   What kind of stick
is it?  What would you do with the right end of the
stick?  What happens to you if you have the wrong end
of the stick?   Just what the heck IS the metaphor?  If
someone is getting beaten the wrong end of the stick
would be the one hitting you and the right end would be
the end being held by the person using it, but clearly,
that's not the metaphor!  If it was, then "If I've got
the wrong end of the stick" would mean, "If something
bad is happening to me".  My brain never stops!  lol!

best regards,

Patrick