Re: Cage transform questions

On Saturday, November 06, 2010 05:15:50 David Gowers (kampu) wrote:
> Hi,
> I've just been trying out the cage tool (recently merged into GIT head)
> I really like that I can just sketch up something like
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/neota/tech/1.png
> and gooily bend it into something like:
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/neota/tech/2.png
>
> I have two questions...
>
> * What does 'Fill from first point' do?
> ('first point' is likely the first point you clicked when defining the
> cage.. but if fill from first point is NOT checked, where does the
> cage code fill from?)
Nowhere. The original cage poition is not filled if its not checked. In
photograhic images when working with clear cut objects that might sometimes be
useful.

> * Are there any plans to provide an option to use nearest-neighbour
> sampling? The interpolating sampler works well for photographic
> images; for indexed or low-color images, I so far find that the
> interpolation makes the result uglier than the original, due to a)
> destruction of intentional hard edges or b) colors being remapped
> after interpolation
Nobody has asked for that, but I guess it is doable as long as gegl provides
nearest neighbor sampler.

On Saturday, November 06, 2010 06:48:48 David Gowers (kampu) wrote:
> * Frequently, when closing the cage by clicking on the first point,
> the point that was just placed ends up next to the first one
Ive seen this one, but Im yet to find a criteria for replicating it. Its
alsopossible that the redactoring Mitch did last night fixed it,
> * When >=1 point is outside image bounds, pixels outside the resultant
> shape become black (regardless of the current BG color). For greyscale
> images, mid-grey is the color which appears
That's what the empty gegl buffer is colored. I guess the expectation in this
area was not clearly defined. I guess it will be fixed sometime.

--Alexia