Re: Native RAW support

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 22:35:49 +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 07:53 +0200, Martin Nordholts wrote:
>
>> I think the point here is that configure, make, make install on a GIMP
>> tarball - with all dependencies met - should result in a GIMP
>> installation with good support for working with RAW images.
>
> Oh come on. The ufraw plug-in is much better maintained outside the GIMP
> source tree. No one would benefit if we tried to include all third-party
> plug-ins in the GIMP source tree. That's just silly. Our product vision
> states that GIMP should be easily extendable. Instead of adding more
> plug-ins to the source tree, as you suggest, we should work on making it
> easier for users to install additional plug-ins.

As the maintainer of one of those outside the tree plugins (the
enhance Print plugin with Gutenprint), I have to agree with this.
Keep in mind that one of the big reasons for Photoshop's success is
the variety of externally available plugins available for it that
offer functionality well beyond that of the core application.

This is particularly important for things like non-standard file
formats (such as RAW, which is camera-specific and new formats come
along with each new camera release).  It's simply not practical for
GIMP to do a new release with every new RAW sub-format, while the
ufraw team is well equipped to do so.