Re: Getting new layer modes fit for inclusion

On 08/24/2010 07:46 AM, Martin Nordholts wrote:

> * Only show the legacy color modes when an image that already
>     uses them is the active image (we either show all four, even
>     if an image only uses one).

Haven't got around doing that, yet, but have question. Deciding when to
activate the legacy modes is easy: Whenever an image is loaded that uses
them.

But when to deactivate?
- As soon as there is no layer left using legacy modes? (I.e. you
couldn't switch modes back and forth. Once switched away from legacy
modes, the menu item would be gone.)
- When closing the image or switching to another image that doesn't have
legacy modes. I.e. changing the active image will change the dropdown.
- When closing the last image that uses legacy modes. I.e. you could
activate legacy modes for all images by keeping a foot-in-the-door image
open.
- Only when closing GIMP.

While I could think of use-cases for all of them, I think it boils down
to how strongly we would want to discourage from using the legacy modes.

Is it decided that GEGL will not support the legacy modes, or should
they be implemented in GEGL as well to retain backward compatability?