Re: Getting new layer modes fit for inclusion

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 15:42 +0200, Rupert Weber wrote:

> (2) Separate out the actual conversion routines in gimplibcolor as
>      a standalone patch.
>      Maybe change the Decompose plug-in to use those, so we at least
>      have something to make use of the new conversions.
>      (as far as I can tell, the current Decompose Lab functions are
>      broken, anyway).
> (3) Once gimplibcolor updates are all settled, go about adding new layer
>      modes which make use of them.
>      (a) decide, which modes. Be conservative, don't clutter the menu
>          too much with modes that nobody needs. Once they are out, we
>          can't take them back.
>      (b) decide how to name them.
>      (c) decide how to deal with storing them (XCF version++)

New code in GIMP should use babl for pixel format conversion. There's no
need to introduce new API for that as we have babl which is available to
the core and plug-ins and provides a much superior API. If your
optimized routines turn out to outperform the CIE Lab <-> sRGB
conversions that are in babl right now, then your code should be added
to babl.

Sven