GPU-accelerated Image Filtering w/ CUDA

This is a long message, so let me start with the punchline:  *I have a
lot of CUDA code that harnesses a user's GPU to accelerate very tedious
image processing operations, potentially 200x speedup.  I am ready to
donate this code to the GIMP project.  This code can be run on Windows
or Linux, and probably Mac, too.*  *It only works on NVIDIA cards, but
can detect at runtime whether the user has acceptable hardware, and
disables itself if not.*

Hi all, I'm new here.  I work on real-time image processing applications
that must run at 60-240Hz, which is typically too fast for doing things
like convolutions on large images.  However, the new fad is to use CUDA
to harness the parallel computing power of your graphics card to do
computations, instead of just rendering graphics.  The speed ups are
phenomenal.

For instance, I implemented a basic convolution algorithm (blurring),
which operates on a 4096x4096 image with a 15x15 kernel/PSF.  On my CPU
it took *27 seconds* (AMD Athlon X3 440).  When running the identical
algorithm in CUDA, I get it done in *0.1 to 0.25 seconds*, so between
110x to 250x speedup (NVIDIA GTX 460).  Which side of the spectrum you
are on depends on whether the memory already resides in the GPU device
memory, of it needs to be copied in/out on each operation.

Any kind of operation that resembles convolution, such as edge
detection, blurring, morphology operations, etc, are all highly
parallelizable and ideal for GPU-acceleration.  *I have a lot of this
code already written for grayscale images, and can be donated to the
GIMP project.*  I would be interested to expand the code to work on
color images (though, I suspect just doing it three times on each
channel would probably not be ideal), and I don't think it will be that
hard to integrate into the existing GIMP project (only a couple extra
libraries need to be added for a user's computer to benefit from it).

Additionally, the CUDA comes with convenient functions for determining
whether a user has a CUDA-enabled GPU, and can default to regular CPU
operations if they don't have one.  It can determine how many cards they
have, select the fastest one, and adjust the function calls to
accommodate older GPU cards.   Therefore, I believe the code can safely
be integrated and dynamically enable itself only if it can be used.

My solution is for any image size (within the limit of GPU memory), but
the kernel/PSF size must be odd and no larger than 25x25.  It's not to
say larger kernel sizes can't be done in CUDA, but my solution is
"elegant" for sizes smaller than that, due to having a limited amount of
shared memory.  I believe it will still work up to a 61x61 kernel but
with substantial slowdown (though, probably still much faster than
CPU).  Beyond that, I believe a different algorithm is needed.

I have implemented basic convolution (which assumes 0s outside the edge
of the image), bilateral filter (which is blurring without destroying
edges), and most of the basic binary morphological operations
(kernel-based erode, dilate, opening, closing).  I believe it would be
possible to develop a morphology plugin, that allows you to start with a
binary image, and click buttons for erode, dilate, opening, etc, and
have it respond immediately.  This would allow someone to start with an
image, and try lots of different combinations of morphological
operations to determine if their problem can be solved with morphology
(which usually requires a long and complex sequence of morph ops).

Unfortunately, I don't have much time to become a GIMP developer, but I
feel like I can still contribute.  I will happily develop the algorithms
to be run on the GPU, as they will probably benefit my job, too (I'm
open to suggestions for functions that operate on the whole image, but
independently).  And I can help with the linking to CUDA libraries,
which NVIDIA claims can be done quickly by someone with no CUDA experience.

Please let me know if anyone is interested to work with me on this:
etotheipi@xxxxxxxxx

-Alan