Re: Getting new layer modes fit for inclusion

Hi,

On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 02:52 +0200, Rupert Weber wrote:

> The patch is here. Now, and it works. The conversions add 17k of code.
> Once GEGL takes over, they'll simply removed again. No one gets hurt.

Well, the problem with your patch is that it adds new public API to
libgimpcolor. And that will hurt us pretty badly. We will have to
maintain that API for a couple of releases and I would really like to
avoid that. Plug-ins will start to use it and that code will pretty soon
have to be converted to use babl then.

Instead of adding more pixel conversion routines to libgimpcolor, all of
libgimpcolor should be deprecated as soon as possible and all users
should be converted to use babl instead. Otherwise we will stick with
our legacy APIs forever.

Unfortunately I can't access bugzilla.gnome.org at the moment (seems to
be a temporary server problem), so I can't review your patch in detail.
I really don't want to stand in the way of this patch, but I strongly
suggest that we go the road of deprecating libgimpcolor asap instead of
extending it further.

And no, I didn't ask you to work on the GEGL modes, I just ask you (or
actually anyone) to use and improve babl when it comes to pixel format
conversions.

Sven