Re: Enhancement request: better utilization of mouse buttons

First off, sorry for the top post, but I thought this is isn't
directly related to the question "what to do with the right mouse
button / context menu". It was, however, something that hit me while I
was thinking about it. When I read this list, I normally just read the
emails consider some different approaches to the problems, and then
shut up anyway, since there are a lot more intelligent people here
anyway so I don't need to pollute the list.

I don't know if this has been discussed before (although I have been
around for a couple of years now, I forget stuff), so if it's been
discussed and thrown out before, just ignore me and I'll crawl back
underneath that rock again.

Anyway, back to the right mouse button / context menu. The entire
point of having the right mouse button map to a secondary tool, for me
anyway, would be speed. At first, I though, well we have that,
although they're predefined (ctrl/alt/shift/etc will sometimes switch
to different tools), we could have another key do the secondary tool
thing. Someone suggested space, but I've got to agree, space for
moving around is *awesome*. I really miss that when I'm working with
Photoshop, so please don't change that. :) So, speed. Blender has a
different approach, where different keys bring up different menu's
around the mouse, and although it takes a while to learn, once you
have, it's fairly easy and fast to switch back and fourth between a
bunch of modes. Then again, I don't think we want that kind of steep
learning curve for GIMP. So my mind wandered a bit and I got to
thinking about the UI in some computer games I've seen which could be
really cool. The toolbox is usually far away, and each tool is a
fairly small button (which aren't on the edge of the screen, which
would make them fairly large, in UI design terms), how about we move
them in closer? Consider a button/key which you press, which brings up
a circle of tools around the mouse pointer, perhaps an inch or two in
diameter (keeping it animated improves visual coherence, or so I've
been told, perhaps have them zoom out from under the cursor), move
your mouse to your tool (which could expand a little to make it a
bigger target) and let go of the button/key to choose it.
Sub-tools/variants could be a bit farther away (perhaps a bit smaller,
and a bit transparent), in the same direction.

Computer games do have a knack of finding UIs which are fast and easy
to learn. The only thing they're not is 'conforming' to standard UI
elements (not that they'd want to).

I'm not saying the right mouse button is the best use for such a
feature (I actually think it wouldn't be, I prefer the keyboard), but
it might be a good option. I'd be willing to work on such a feature.

Greetings,
Fredrik.