Re: Enhancement request: better utilization of mouse buttons

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Vincent Beers <vincentbeers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
While you have a point about being able to hide the menu bar, doesn't
the main window never get larger than the screen size, meaning that
your window title and everything in it will always be visible?

This limitation does not exist.  Suppose I have an image 4000x6000 and I want to look at it at 100%, or an image 400x600 and I want to look at it at 800%. If I shrink wrap it (Ctrl+E with version 2.6, or Ctrl+J with version 2.8), certainly the window will be larger than my screen. Since I can easily move it using some key combination and the mouse, I can look at various parts of the image, and be not limited by my screen size.

Actually, I have encountered no other image manipulation suite that
would obscure the menu bar like this other than the GIMP. I'm not
saying that it is a bad thing, just that it removes the chance to do
anything else with said button. For a mouse button, which is one of
the buttons that is easily and quickly clickable, opening a menu might
not be the most desired action to give it.

I cannot count how many times I have been happy to be able to reach almost everything from a simple right-click.  If other image manipulation applications cannot offer this possibility, too bad for them.

If accessing the menu is absolutely necessary in this way, why not map
it to another common key (like tapping the space bar) and leave an
extra mouse button to added editing power? Or perhaps use the context
menu button on the keyboard to good use.

The space bar is invaluable as a way to move the image withing its window. Why do you want to confiscate existing possibilties, instead of unused keyboard and mouse combinations?

If you really can't go without the right-click-menu thing, how about
making it more context sensitive, then? Show appropriate options when
you right-click a selection or a text box for example, with the
original menus shown below the context sensitive options.

Same remark as above. I would suggest you to propose new combinations for interesting, new capabilities, but not try to remove somewhat which has existed from the first version of GIMP, simply because you don't use it.

Vincent Beers

--
Olivier Lecarme