Re: Gimp UX: Paste

Jason Simanek wrote:

>> but in the majority of cases it will be in the 'wrong' position
>> and it needs to be moved to be 'right'.
>
> Paste to new layer currently pastes the copied pixels in the top-left.
> I think Gino suggested that it be changed to 'centered'. It sounds
> like you are saying it should be pasted to the exact location where it
> was copied from. I agree. The pasted pixels should end up exactly
> where I copied them from.

moving it 'right' is a user thing, because GIMP cannot guess how the
resulting art has to be. I have not made up my mind about the default
but exact location (when available) sounds correct, else centred.

>> sounds like the solution is actually to have the new layer appear
>> with the
>> paste anchored in the default position, but with a selection
>> around it active (same shape as used for floating paste) and
>> the upcoming combined transform tool as active tool for
>> moving, sizing and deforming.
>
> Not sure about this. I actually think the selection should be removed.
> When you copy/paste text in a text editor the pasted result is just
> text, not 'selected' text.

bad example, because there you set the cursor before the paste
to control where the paste is inserted: total control.
in GIMP there is no such thing. a paste is generally
moved into position after pasting.

> Besides, if the pasted result is on a new
> layer there should be no need for a selection. The entire layer is
> dedicated to the previously selected pixels, so you should be able to
> manipulate the layer without the need for the initial selection.

that's better. you are right about this.

     --ps

             man + machine interface works