Re: Gimp UX: Paste

Gino D wrote:

> Having said that, if there is no need to merge layers together, but
> you simply want to manage the pasted object as indipendent layer, then
> the optimal solution is to use the "Paste as New Layer" command rather
> than the "Paste" command, which actually generates floating
> selections. According to me, the only small drawback of the former
> choice consists in the fact that such new pasted layer doesn't come
> centered on the target image (as it would be convenient), whereas, on
> the contrary, every floating selection (when pasted) does.

as I said yesterday, this new-layer-from-clipboard workflow
needs attention too. user efficiency (speed!) and flexibility
are important here. one aspect (as Gino points out) is default
placement of the paste on the new layer.

but in the majority of cases it will be in the 'wrong' position
and it needs to be moved to be 'right'. so I think the new layer
should appear with the paste floating on it in default position,
ready to be moved and/or anchored. In this new layer scenario I
think the controls for opacity and blend mode should not be there
(on canvas) because the new layer will take care of that.

hmmm, thinking about it a bit more, this sounds like the
solution is actually to have the new layer appear with the
paste anchored in the default position, but with a selection
around it active (same shape as used for floating paste) and
the upcoming combined transform tool as active tool for
moving, sizing and deforming.

but that is a thing for the future...

     --ps

             man + machine interface works