Re: New on this list... how to start juming into Gimp-dvelopment?

Hi,

Zitat von "Simon Budig" <simon@xxxxxxxx>:

> Oliver Bandel (oliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>> I'm new on the developer list.
>
> Welcome.
>
>> I would like to help in pushing into the direction of overcoming the
>> 8-Bit limitation. Also interesting would be for me to have more
>> knowledge on the plugin-stuff; I had already written some little
>> Python-plugins, but to know more about that would be fine.... I also
>> think about implementing a foreign language interface for OCaml.
>
> For the 8-bit limitation the important keyword is GEGL, which is the
> project we want to base on for higher bit depths. Pippin is the person
> in the know there.
[...]

Where is the main problem?
Is the problem to import GEGL into Gimp,
or is GEGL not advanced enough to use it
in Gimp at the moment?
So: is the work to be done at the Gimp-side or at the GEGL-side?

>> At the moment I'm using Ubuntu and used the "apt-get source gimp" to
>> download the sources of the current Gimp on my distribution. I looked
>> for the necessary tools, which were not all installed. So then I
>> installed them.
>
> I suspect this is not the current gimp source you're getting there.

I know.
But with "current" I meant: "the sources that were used to compile the
Gimp, which I have installed at the moment as a binary".

> For
> development you really need to look at the stuff in the git repository.

OK.
So I first look at git. I have heard of it, but not used it so far.

> Of importance are the three git repositories babl / gegl / gimp, which
> need to be built and installed (in your own prefix, not (!) parallel to
> the system installed babl/gegl/gimp versions).
> For gtk+ and glib
> development code the system stuff *might* be too old, we have debian
> testing as a rule-of-thumb of the versions we depend on.

Yes.

Using non-standard locations hopefully will not need too much effort.
Is this all easy going with "./configure"? I hope so.

Are there scripts, especially for installing all the stuff locally,
so that Gimp-development can be done in this way with just a one-liner?

> A lot of other information is available at http://developer.gimp.org/faq.html

OK, I will read it.

[...]
>> It looks like a lot of code...
>
> It is. But it is IMHO really good code...  :)

I have looked into some of the code... I looked on-systematically at
some places.
The first file I picked had a lot of hard coded values inside,
doing it without defines, so I was shocked at the first moment... ;-)
but the other files I looked into looked quite good.

The coding style is close to what I use for my own code,
and all in all it looked good, yes. :)

> If you drop by in #gimp on irc.gimp.org (aka gimpnet) ask questions (and
> wait patiently, it is not really a real-time-response channel)

aha.

Some days ago I asked something quite unpatiently,
and got no answer during the time I was looged in...
So, thank you for clarification.

Ciao,
    Oliver