Re: [Fwd: GTK+ 2.20.0 released]

On 3/24/10, Karl Günter Wünsch wrote:
> This is ludicrous - how would anyone trying to use the keyboard learn the
> different mnemonics available?
I would imagine by holding down the ALT key -- a necessary precursor
to actually using the mnemonic keystroke and thus a logical,
intuitive, and discoverable action. If it is OK to presume that a user
already knows that the ALT key is associated with accessing menu items
(this association had to be learned somehow, it is not intuitively
obvious), what is wrong with presuming that they will likewise learn
that holding down the ALT key will reveal the underlined letters?

Quoting Jason Simanek <jsimanek@xxxxxxxxx>:

> The shortcuts should definitely be shown while using the mouse. Who came
> up with this idea? I know this isn't the GTK+ mailing list, but
> seriously, how is this an improvement? Were the drop down menus getting
> too wide with the included shortcuts? Were they interfering with
> legibility? Why are they trying to fix problems that don't exist?

The mnemonics are unrelated to GIMP's keyboard shortcuts (which will
still be visible in the menus, unless the user has specified otherwise
in his gtkrc). Personally, I never use the menu mnemonics in GIMP
because keyboard shortcuts are much more efficient and are also
dynamically configurable (surely hitting the "+" key is simpler than
ALT+V, ALT+Z, and ALT+O). To me, having random letters underlined in
menus and dialogs is just visual noise cluttering up the interface.

As a final note, the attention given to discoverability for
facilitated access to commands or advanced features need not be so
strict as that for "normal" workflows. If there is an easily
discoverable way to accomplish a task (e.g., through the menus) then
there is nothing wrong with a more convenient method also being
provided which might not be readily apparent (perhaps only learnable
by reading the manual or tutorial). Advanced users will learn to avail
themselves of such optional conveniences without requiring prompting
from talking paperclips or animated walkthroughs, and the neophytes
are better off not being confronted with the additional complications.