Re: [Fwd: GTK+ 2.20.0 released]

On 03/24/2010 03:21 PM, Karl Günter Wünsch wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 March 2010, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
>> On 3/24/10, Karl Günter Wünsch wrote:
>>> This is ludicrous - how would anyone trying to use the keyboard learn the
>>> different mnemonics available?
>>
>> This is default behaviour on Windows.
> Which is the first thing I disable on any Windows installation I do and the
> users are happy about that.

The shortcuts should definitely be shown while using the mouse. Who came
up with this idea? I know this isn't the GTK+ mailing list, but
seriously, how is this an improvement? Were the drop down menus getting
too wide with the included shortcuts? Were they interfering with
legibility? Why are they trying to fix problems that don't exist?

What percentage of users navigate the menus via keyboard? To me
beginners use the mouse to navigate the menus. Experts use keyboard
shortcuts. People that are unable to use the mouse use the keyboard to
navigate the menus until they learn the shortcuts. It is very awkward
for me to learn the keyboard shortcuts if they aren't visible during
mouse navigation. I never use the keyboard to navigate the menus.

Just my two cents.

-Jason Simanek